Monday, November 21, 2005

Walk The Line



It's been a long time since I've seen a film that I actually believe deserves an Academy Award. That all changed this Saturday night. What a fantastic portrayal!

I think this movie effected me on many different levels for many different reasons. I Have always been a fan of Johnny Cash, the whole Carter family, and country music in general. I've read the autobiography that was used as a guide for this movie. I think they did an excellent job in telling this story and bringing the characters to life. The fact that the actors had to actually sing was outstanding! I can think of few voices that would be harder to duplicate than that of Johnny Cash. And yet, they somehow managed to pull it off beautifully.


On a more personal edge, this movie touched my heart. Cynic that I am, I rarely find "mushy love stuff" all that appealing. Sure, I like a good chick flick now and again, but I never leave the movie thinking "I wish I could fall in love like that"... The story of Johnny & June made me say that. I wish I could fall in love like that. Not the crappy, sappy, pretty kind of love. The honest, ugly, brutal, truthful, endearing kind. In my opinion, true love is when everything either falls to pieces, or hits the fan, and there's still someone holding your hand. It's not candles, and poetry, and perfect proposals. It's simply who loves you enough to hold you when things get ugly? I've known some people who love like that (Pete&Barb for one). I can't think of anything more beautiful than that. So call me a cynical romantic I guess, but I know true love when I see it.

See this film. You'll be glad you did.

No comments: