Monday, December 05, 2005

Oh, What A Weekend...

Retelling the story of this past weekend seems like a feat in itself. I have experienced a great many highs and several floor dropping lows in the past two days. Yet strangely, when all is said and done, I can say this was a fantastic weekend!

On Saturday morning I was supposed to go swimming. Sadly, that never happened. Instead I got up slowly and prepared myself for a "veg day". I was going to bake splenda&spice cookies and wrap Christmas gifts. I planned to drink coffee and take it easy. Anyone who knows me, knows that my joy comes from days in my jammies. Then Teri called and asked if I would mind having her and Kevin stop by. They wanted to bring their steam cleaner to my house and revived my battered off white couch. Before they came over I had planned to run to the grocery store, but my van was not loving the cold weather and the engine kept stalling. I would now be stuck at home. I called Heidi to share my dilemma (that's what sisters do). I asked her where she was and what her plans were for the day. Imagine my surprise when she said "I'm sitting in your van, and I was able to get it running fine"! Heidi, Teri, and Kevin all arrived at my door at the same time. In about two hours my couch went from something that looked beyond repair to something fresh and beautiful! I was stunned! Teri, and Kevin left and I was headed out with Heidi for a fun filled afternoon of Christmas shopping. Yipee! I love days like this...

Until a truly bizarre twist of fate landed Heidi and I in a car accident at the end of my very street. We had barely left my house! We were at the end of my street waiting to turn, when a young kid in a blazer took the turn too vast for icy conditions. The driver side doors are both smashed in. None of us was hurt, just badly shaken. We called the police, and my father. Things were worked out fairly quickly, but there is still the concern about how I'm going to get around while my van is being repaired... YIKES!

So, broken door and all, Heidi and I headed to Kenosha. We ate dinner at Cracker Barrel, and did a ton of Christmas shopping. We shared a giggle when our waitress said "drive careful" as she handed us the check. Heidi was in the middle of filling out the accident report as she said it! On the ride home I was hyped on caffeine and I kept making Heidi sing along with me to the "Walk The Line" soundtrack. You may not know it to look at her, but Heidi does an excellent impersonation of Jerry Lee Lewis...

Sunday, I had my yearly, "Christmas Day" with my best friend Kim. We exchanged gifts and watched movies. I love spending time with Kim. Kim loves spending time with Diva. I think I'm in second place now. =) Kim and I were watching "Freaks and Geeks" when Heidi called to say that Jim's close friend Tim had passed suddenly the night before. I've actually spent some time with both Tim, and his wife Penny. This is such a sad loss of such a nice man. He was only 36. Please be praying for the family. Pray also for Jim. This is going to be hard on him. Sunday afternoon, Heidi called again and said she really just wanted to get out. We decided to take my dad and his wife out to see "Walk The Line"(I've now seen it three times). Wouldn't you know it? On our way to dads house two things happened. The "good sliding door" on the van actually fell off. The track came loose and Heidi had to lift the door into place. Shortly after that, the car stalled again. We were beginning to think maybe our travels were being cursed. But, a few minutes later, all was right with the world. The van started again, and dad was able to fix the door. We all enjoyed the movie and it ended up being a perfect end to one crazy weekend.

2 comments:

becca said...

So glad you're allright! I'll keep a lookout for the accident report in the Herald. Looking forward to getting back to see you...and confirm your well-being in person!

-becca

Barb K said...

Mandy, Ugh. The door fell off????? Yikes. I still remember the "driving off the edge" accident we had years ago. I hated having to call your dad to tell him. Praying for quick and easy resolution.

Love you, Aunt barb