Wednesday, May 10, 2006

I Just Don't "Get It"

I've noticed an odd trend lately, and I find it disheartening. Why do so many "Christians" seem to be snubbing their nose at their own faith?

Don't misunderstand me. I'm the first to point out the flaws in organized religion. In fact I'm pretty sure we break God's heart daily by misrepresentation. But, when did it become trendy to reject all things associated with Him? I've decided that whole "in the world, but not of the world" thing is getting blurred. We criticism everything without any real effort to fix ANYTHING. I for one find it exhausting. Anytime perfection is processed by imperfection it is bound to taint things. That is why Christianity (or any other religion) gets so messed up sometimes. But the truth at the core never changes. So why are we seeing such inner turmoil? Have we become spoiled? I know several people in my age bracket who grew up during the BOOM of Willow Creek. We were in the "mega church" before it was mega. And now there is disconnect. They seem gravitate towards new startup organizations not realizing that one day (sooner than they know) the startup church will out grow it's grass roots and find itself in the same boat as the rest of the mega churches. No one starts a church in hopes of world domination. Despite popular belief... The core heart of "The Church" is driven by loving God and serving His people as a community. Of course "The Church" is not one building, or organization. It's you, and me. We're the "Bride of Christ".
So why all the grumbling? It is not a reflection on God when we see scandal, hatred, injustice, or oppression within the Christian community. That is just humanity failing at living up to our potential. It's like saying "God is hateful" when an abortion clinic is blown up by fanatics. God never commanded that course of action. Yet somehow we hold God responsible for these atrocities. Seems rather unfair... Personally, I think we'd do better to get off of our lazy complacent asses and actually take part in changing the things we don't like. What would that look like I wonder? If everyone saw what was lacking, and stepped in to cause change... I bet that might actually get something done.

Sorry for the rant. I just had to get that off my chest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said Mandy. Perfect timing too.