Friday, June 17, 2005

Hope....

Everyone around me seems to be discussing hope lately. What brings you hope? What steals your hope? What do you put your hope in? It's seems emotionally driven for a lot of people. I for one think hope is more factual than emotional. Everything in this life changes regularly. If I place my hope in people, at some point I will get burned. If I place my hope in possessions, I'm bound to feel empty. If I hope in myself, I'm going to let myself down. I need to hope in something steady and constant. If hope is what keeps us alive and and motivates us to get out of bed each day, than I certainly don't want to rest my hope in the hands of chaos. So after much thought, I've figured I would define my hope.


I do not have hope that tomorrow will be better than today. It usually doesn't work out that way.
I do not have hope in my body's wellbeing, or a healthy life. My body has never been that good to me.
I do not have hope for the safety and happiness of the people I love. This is simply not reasonable.
I do not have hope in the improvement of myself. I will continually let myself down.

I have hope in God. I know that no matter what tomorrow brings, He is with me.
I have hope in God. He will use me for a time on earth, and then He'll bring me home.
I have hope in God. Life is full of loss and suffering, but one day I'll see my loved ones again.
I have hope in God. I am a broken creature, yet I am made perfect through Jesus Christ!

I honestly don't say these things because they are the "Christian" response. I say them because they are true of me. I am not going to waste my one and only life being trapped in disillusionment and hopelessness. Hope can not be shaken if it is rooted in something unshakable. It has taken me years to learn this. I may still struggle with depression from time to time. Life is hard, and I'm an active participant in this human struggle. Yet, Hope will not leave me. It is at the bottom of who I am.

4 comments:

Kim said...

Thank you so much for your notes of encouragement. I have read a lot of your blog and love the way you write.

I admire your love of God and the way you write about Him. I need to strive to place all of my hope in Him. I have been praying constantly to Him lately and things are getting better :)

Anonymous said...

Mandy, I think this kind of grounded, uncompromising wisdom should be shouted from the rooftops. Away with the health, wealth, and prosperity theology that has deceived (and utterly disappointed) so many dear believers. I'm personally convinced that what you've said in this post can be backed up scripturally. Thanks for articulating the truth so eloquently.

-D. Dunlap
Jax, FL

Gail said...

Mandy, your wisdom is great. Simply...I love you...

becca said...

Hi Miss Amanda,

It's becca from the train in Taiwan...just wanted to drop you a quick note to remind you that in addition to God, I think there's a strong case to be made for...

hope = chocolate

Hope this week is treating you better. See you soon!

-becca