Wednesday, June 15, 2005

A Lesson Learned...


Scarlett and I... Posted by Hello

On the last day of my trip, it became clear to me that God really does have a master plan. Ever since the plans for this vacation were set into motion I kept asking "why me?" I was so blown away by this incredible gift. I felt very unworthy of such a blessing. Needing rest and healing though, there was no way I could pass this one up! Now I know that God's timing is perfect...

Being away gave me some time to smooth out a few of my rough edges. The magic of Disney World brought me back to the simple joys of my childhood. I remembered what it was like to be carefree and lighthearted. It has been so long since I've felt that... The cruise offered me peace and relaxation. I rested in a way that I have not been able to do since Laurie's death. I had a massage, and soaked up the sun. I took naps in the middle of the day! I laughed with my sister like I haven't done in years! =) I so needed this time to regroup. I feel lighter now somehow.
I met Scarlett as we were going through customs and leaving the ship. It turns out we had been almost the exact same vacation itinerary (Disney World, Polynesian Resort, Disney Wonder) yet we had not seen one another until the very last minute. I spotted her in line and her mini wheelchair made me smile. It wasn't until I looked closer that I noticed similarities between us physically... Scarlett is 5 yrs old, and she has Arthrogryposis Multiplex Congenita (AMC). This is the same disability that I was born with. For those of you who don't know me personally, AMC is very rare. I've only met 7 people with AMC in my entire life, and it almost never looks quite the same as the next case. I was amazed at the similarities between us. How cool to be able to relate to what this young girl is going through. Her parents are outstanding! It was fun to introduce them to Heidi. They asked "Do you live with your sister then?" You should have seen their faces when I said "No. I live on my own and work in Chicago." What a blessing to be able to share my crazy life experiences with this family! I was able to give them a glimpse into the kind of future Scarlett might one day achieve. I now know exactly why God blessed me with this trip, at this time, at this exact stage of my life. I'm just thrilled to have a small vision of the "Big Picture"!


Right now things are pretty rough for my family, and those grieving Laurie... But I know that God will use this tragedy to impact someone. My life reminds me that God makes all things beautiful in their own time. Know that I'm praying for all of us. I pray that we come through this stronger, and better equipped to help others.

Blessings!
Mandy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mandy,
We were just at Disney with the family and it is a magical place. I am so glad you were given this trip and that you and Heidi had a great time of fun and relaxation. How cool that you were able to be a blessing to Scarlett and her parents by them seeing how independent you have become. Keep sharing His love with others. Love, Mrs. Heick

Bigger than Me said...

Mandy, I have literally come back to look at your blog a dozen times, just to see that photo of you two! What an inspiration you are, and a source of joy you will be to yet another cool family! You rock, Mandy, I am so proud of you...again!
Always,
Katie

Anonymous said...

Scarlett looks like your mini me...
=o)