Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Walking Wounded

It's amazing what we can survive. People hear my story and sometimes say "Oh, I could NEVER handle that!"The amazing thing though, is how presumptuous that kind of statement is. Who can safely say that they won't be in the same place one day?

When my Mom died, I thought the world would stop spinning. The bottom fell out in my life. And yet, here I am. Eight years later, I'm still standing. Ok... Maybe not STANDING, but you get my point. I never thought I'd ever go through anything worse than my Mother's death. In some ways, I was right. I've yet to experience anything as horrible as seeing that with my own eyes... I don't want to go there.

Laurie's death was still much more traumatic in it's own way. Suicide injures people far more than any other kind of death. Maybe because it's their choice to leave. Maybe it's the fact that this pain is forced on you unnessarily. I haven't sorted it all out yet. I may never have it straight. I just know that this wound festers even as it heals. My family is a strong surviving group. We are "RESILIENT" as one friend puts it... But we are still broken, and we continue to move forward as walking wounded survivors.

1 comment:

Barb K said...

Exactly right. We continue to be "held". Held...Held in His arms, thank goodness. I have never in my life fainted, but there are times when I think, I am going to just swoon/faint/drift and then I get this feeling of being "held". Amen, again. See you tomorrow at New Community, Mandy. Love you, Aunt Barb