Thursday, July 21, 2005

Dear Laurie,

It's been a while since I've been able to talk to you, so I thought I'd drop you a note. Strange isn't it how I can still write you even though I'll never get a response? I miss you Laur. I miss late night conversations about everything. I miss being called "beautiful cousin". I miss laughing with you and crying with you, but mostly I miss being "real" with you. As I've looked back over our emails from Mexico to March, I notice a subtle decline in your genuine nature. I can't say that there were any "red flags" to speak of, but you seemed to have sort of drifted a bit. To be honest, I wrote it off as a sign of maturing, but now I feel sick when I think of all I didn't see. Why couldn't you show me? All those nights when we talked about life, death, faith, and purpose, why couldn't you let your guard down for just a moment and tell me what was really brewing? Was your pride so strong that you couldn't show weakness, or was it simply that you were afraid I couldn't hold your broken pieces? I would have liked to have the opportunity. God knows you weren't the first of us to ponder suicide, but I'm still amazed that you took it that far. Was hope really hidden that well? What about in the faces of your niece and nephews? I realize you weren't thinking clearly, but it's almost impossible for me to forgive you for damaging those precious children. Not to mention your parents,siblings,Steph, Scott, Drew, everyone. Rage bubbles inside me for how stupid and selfish your death was. You chose a way out that didn't force you to deal with one single issue. Instead you left us all shattered and beaten, trying to reassemble our hearts, and lives. Did you see your services? A thousand people came to see you. Did you have a clue how loved and admired you were? People who have never met you are carrying you in their hearts now. I can't help but wonder what kind of impact you could have made on the world over the next 60 years... What are we supposed to do without you Laurie? Why did you have to hurt us like this? I wish I could punch you. I wish I could hug you. I wish I could see you smile... I can't hardly wait for my turn in heaven. I want to see mom, and grandma, and you. Elijah, Moses, Mary... I want to know what Jesus looks like when He laughs! I can't wait to be free to run too. It's beautiful there isn't it? I wish you could show me a glimpse. For now, I will patiently wait my turn. No cutting in line for me. I want to live life to the fullest and ever ready to be used by God. I'll carry on for now. Not for you, but for me. I choose to live. Even when it hurts. I love you Laur. I'm glad you have peace. I'll see you sooner than it seems.

Your Cousin,
Mand

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had a couple of minutes before my next appmt. & wanted to ck. Laurie's site as I do almost daily. Clicked on your blog first and am so grateful for that.

Don't quite know what to say about your extraordinary post. Am, for real, blown away. Moving? Gripping? (Not even close.) More like piercing, awe-inspiring, never-read-anything-quite-like-it. Heart-wrenching.

Masterpiece. Had to stop and catch my breath.

I want to take you up on your offer to pray--am counseling a young woman who was molested by 2 stepfathers and 1 of her mother's boyfriends (when she was a child). In a word, she is nearly uncommunicative. Never felt so up against a brick wall.

I would deeply appreciate prayer for insight into how to really, authentically help her; and for her ability to express her pain. (Wish I could inject her with just one dose of the utter honesty that typifies all your family's blogs.)

Thank you so much. -D.D. Jax, FL

Barb K said...

Mandy, Mandy...
It is 11:30PM. Uncle Pete is sound asleep and I decided to check emails and a few blogs before I went to bed. Your blog is so real. I am crying, missing you, missing her, frustrated. I need to write Laurie, too. Can you believe this? Isn't it too unreal for words?

I feel like you regarding La's "drift" since Mexico. She was still wonderful and I thought I understood her need to search for truth. I think I have always allowed each of my kids to explore life and stood ready to catch them if they fell. Laurie did not allow me the chance to catch her. And it breaks my heart.

Mandy, this has been a really hard day with what I can only describe as an attack by Satan. I will take this off line with you but pray, pray, pray. You are a warrior in that department. I love you, Mandy. I am so sorry that Laurie made this horrible choice. It has left a hole in all of us.

Kim said...

Your letter to Laurie really moved me. You are such a wonderful, caring, thoughtful person. she was lucky to have you in her family.

Seeing how close your family is, makes me want to improve my relationship with mine.

Jackie R. said...

Mandy,
I love your letter to Laurie... I guess I can't articulate why right now but it is so real/authentic... it just captures so much of the emotion/struggling etc. I love the way you phrased things... like: "Was your pride so strong that you couldn't show weakness, or was it simply that you were afraid I couldn't hold your broken pieces?" Anyhow, Thanks for your blogs - I enjoy them.
My husband and I could also use a little prayer :) we are moving to Colorado in 3 weeks and our big concern is finding a place to live that willl welcome us and our *clears throat* 4 cats. Thanks again...

Gail said...

Wow Mandy, That drove me to tears also. Sounds pretty much what I'd like to say to Laurie. Like 'Shame on you for doing this and leaving us here to "do life" without you.' The pain never goes away. Aunt Gail

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU for putting into words and sharing your grief and your questions. Please keep writing, as long as it helps YOU; it surely helps me in my daily battle with suicidal (post-partum)depression. Only God's grace has kept me here, but for my part, I have to consciously and forcefully "reject" the intrusive thoughts and desperation that cannot be stopped (even with treatment). I read your thoughts and stories and those of other survivors who grieve, and yes, I carry Laurie and others in my heart, to keep "in front of me," the REALITY, the consequences, and the immense suffering that suicide causes. I am dreadfully sorry for your loss and your suffering. God bless you and keep you.